Hey Church December 5, 2016
On November 20th of this year we voted overwhelmingly to move in the direction of replanting Magna View, and elected Jimmy Hicks, Bernard Bull and Gabriel Reed as our Transition Team to lead us through this process. The transition team has six major responsibilities:
- Oversee day-to-day ministry of the church, working with the pastor, staff and current deacons to ensure that ministries are being maintained.
- Maintain clear communication with the church through regular family gatherings to update the church on the process of replanting.
- Work with the treasurer to develop a temporary operating budget to be presented to the church in December to keep the church in operation until reconstituting.
- Write new governing documents (Constitution and Bylaws) to reflect a new mission statement, new membership covenant, new leadership structure (membership role, pastor/elders, deacons), and other elements pertinent to the function of the church.
- Investigate the implications and procedures for changing the name of the church, to be presented to the church at a later time.
- At the appropriate time, lead the church in the process of replanting/reconstituting as a new church. There is no exact time frame for this transition to happen.
The Transition Team’s first priority is to develop an operating budget before the end of this year. They have been meeting weekly and working with our Treasurer to accomplish this task. We will give out a proposed budget for 2017 on Sunday, December 11th. And, keeping with our tradition, we will meet in a business meeting on Wednesday, December 14th at 6:30pm to discuss the proposed budget and make any necessary changes, and then Sunday, December 18th after the worship service, we will vote on the budget (without discussion).
2016 has been a difficult year financially for our church. Though our giving has been down, we have witnessed God’s faithfulness in meeting our needs and enabling us to reach out and minister to our community. Our Transition Team has prayerfully worked through the budget to make reductions to bring our proposed budget closer to our current giving levels. Developing a church budget is difficult “walk” between being good stewards of the resources that God has provided, and having faith that God will provide what we need to do the ministry to which He has called us in the year to come. Our Transition Team has done a good job of both.
The next step in the process of replanting is for the Transition Team to write our governing documents including membership expectations/covenant, mission statements, constitution and bylaws, and other items pertinent to the function of the church. As these documents are produced, they will be presented to the church for discussion and revision before being presented for approval. This will be a slow process, but it’s important that we get things right, not just get things done.
Thank you for your prayerful support for our Transition Team and the replanting process.